Skip to content
- 1kg beef bones
- 500g beef (Kobe beef can be used)
- 2 purple onions
- 3 dried shallots
- 1 ginger root
- 4 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3L filtered water
- 500g pho noodles
- 1/2 bunch of herbs (basil, culantro, sawtooth herb, lime leaves)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 turnip
- 1/2 lime
- Spices (sugar, salt, pepper)
- Rinse the beef bones and beef, bring to a boil in a pot with 3L of filtered water. Lower the heat, skim the foam, and simmer on low heat for about 2-3 hours to make the broth.
- Spices: finely chop the purple onions and ginger. Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan, add the onions and ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Season the broth with fish sauce, sugar, and salt to taste. Add the dried shallots, star anise, and cloves to enhance the flavor.
- Cut the beef into thin slices and arrange on a separate plate.
- Cook the pho noodles in boiling water, remove and rinse with cold water.
- Rinse the herbs, cilantro, and turnip and cut the turnip into thin slices.
- Arrange the beef, pho noodles, and vegetables in a bowl, pour in the broth. Add a little pepper, chili powder, and some celery for extra flavor.
- Enjoy the hot pho with a squeeze of lime and some chili powder.