Bánh mì is a popular Vietnamese sandwich that combines French bread with various fillings and toppings, such as grilled meats, pickled vegetables, and fresh herbs. It’s a beloved dish in Vietnam and around the world for its crispy exterior and flavorful ingredients. Here’s a recipe for making delicious bánh mì at home.
For the bread:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
For the filling:
- 1 pound grilled pork, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots and daikon radish
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- Make the bread: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the warm water and stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Punch the dough down and divide it into 4-6 pieces, depending on how large you want your bánh mì to be.
- Roll each piece into a long, thin baguette shape and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, honey, and sriracha until smooth.
- To assemble the bánh mì, slice the bread in half lengthwise and spread the mayonnaise mixture on the bottom half.
- Add the sliced pork, pickled vegetables, sliced cucumbers, and fresh cilantro.
- Close the sandwich and enjoy!
This recipe is just one variation of bánh mì – feel free to experiment with different meats, vegetables, and sauces to make it your own.